With the dust now settling from the one-two punch of TableTop Day followed a weekend later by Free Comic Book Day (please Geek & Sundry, don't do that to us next year!), we'd just like to take a moment to thank everyone who supported us on the day, and everyone who helped out.
Our immense gratitude to all the creators and publishers who brought us low-cost comics that we could give away to you all for free, plus the invaluable aid of Stuart M from True Believers Comic Festival and David C from TFNation. Further thanks goes out to all the wonderful cosplayers who came to see us, especially Sarah H who suited up as Rocket Raccoon despite the heatwave. You brought a smile to so many faces, it was wonderful!
I'd also like to personally thank Rae and Maya for all their hard work in the both the run up to Free Comic Book Day 2016 and on the big day itself. Thanks team! We're also very grateful to Lynda W for the cake-based sustenance - your incredibly thoughtful gesture was really appreciated when we began to flag in the afternoon!
Our biggest thanks though goes to everyone who came down on Saturday. We had a queue down to the High Street! Hopefully you came home armed with a small stack of free comics that you enjoyed over the weekend with a cool beverage and your feet up. We had more comics to give away than ever before and yet we'd still all but run out by 3pm!
If you're wondering what to read next, have no fear. We're here with some highlighted ideas of the follow ups to your favourite FCBD 2016 comics.
Marvel served up two cracking freebies this year, bursting at the seams with new content.
The adventures of the wonderful Wasp will continue in the new story arc beginning in All New, All-Different Avengers #9, out this Wednesday.
The final part of the House Of Ideas' FCBD offerings was Dead No More, an upcoming Spider-Man storyline, but we won't see any more on that until Autumn I'm afraid.
The Distinguished Competition over at DC Comics were a little more reserved this year, with a reprint of Suicide Squad #1 dating back to the start of the New 52 and the DC Super Hero Girls #1 comic.
Super Hero Girls will continue in an upcoming graphic novel called DC Super Hero Girls Vol. 1: Finals Crisis TP (geddit?), and you can continue the adventures of "Worst. Heroes. Ever." in trade paperback volumes of Suicide Squad and New Suicide Squad.
There'll also be a new Suicide Squad comic as part of DC's Rebirth relaunch, with art from Jim Lee - so watch out for that one later this year!
With the big two out of the way, let's run down the rest of the highlights in alphabetical order:
- If you enjoyed Archie, check out the first graphic novel collection (in stock right now).
- Aliens Defiance began last week and we're down to our last few copies of issue #1!
- The ongoing comic for Bruce Lee Dragon Rises began last month and we still have the first two issues on the shelves.
- The full Camp Midnight graphic novel should be back in stock shortly and you can email us to reserve a copy.
- Con Man's Spectrum returns at the end of June with a four issue miniseries, co-written by Alan Tudyk himself.
- This summer's Doctor Who comic event is another multi-Doctor crossover entitled Supremacy Of The Cybermen - celebrating the Silver Nemesis' 50th Anniversary. This five-issue miniseries launches in July.
Grant Morrison's Avatarex also kicks off in July with art from Jeevan Kang.
Don't forget that in addition Grant Morrison takes over as the editor of Heavy Metal starting with issue #280 out this Wednesday.
- We can add 2000 AD to any pull list, and we do stock some of the latest 2000 AD graphic novel collections when they are published. We can also order in any volumes that are still in print if there's a particular one you're after.
- Same goes for the ongoing comics for Adventure Time, Assassin's Creed, Bob's Burgers, Goldie Vance, Lumberjanes, Sonic, Spongebob and more!
- We also have the latest volumes of One Punch Man, Oddly Normal, Mouse Guard and Lady Mechanika in stock, along with the first issue of the new Lady Mechanika miniseries.
Free Comic Book Day will return on Saturday 6th May 2017 - save the date! There'll also be Halloween Comic Fest again later this year. More details over summer.
If we can do anything more to help, don't hesitate to pop in store or drop us an email. We offer pull lists with our Reservation Service, helping you to keep up with your new favourite comic book stories! We hope to see you again soon.
Ben is looking forward to Uncharted 4 unlocking tonight!